Saturday, September 24, 2011

Blog #1


I chose to use this picture of a flower to identify the color scheme of my protagonist.  The purple and yellow invoke a sense of majesty or holiness.  The yellow is the main focal point in this picture as well as in the picture of my character.  This complementary color scheme has a calming, protective feel to it, which hints to the motives of my protagonist.
As far as the lighting/shadow is concerned, I used this picture of Obama speaking because it represents the way I used light in my character drawing.  The light is focused behind him, but is coming from all around him, giving off a glow.  I used this same technique in my drawing, using the glow to give him an angelic feel, which inherently makes him seem “good”. 

For the shape, I used this drawing of a tree.  It is triangular shaped, with the point being at the bottom.  My protagonist is shaped the exact same way.  This shape represents the leadership and stubbornness of my character. 
__________________________________________________________________________________
For the antagonist, I chose this picture with heavy use of black and a very saturated red.  Darkness(black) is typically associated with evil, and the saturated red reminds one of blood and is very intense.  This simple monochromatic color scheme produces thoughts of evil and destructiveness.  The darkness really makes the red stand out, and represents the anger of the antagonist.
This picture represents the type of lighting used for the antagonist drawing.  It is very dark except for the light surrounding the shadow.  This gives a sense of mystery and creepiness to the character.  Heavy shadow is normally associated with evil and is a big part of the overall scheme.  Using too much light would defeat the purpose, making the antagonist seem less scary.  The shadow also helps hide the face, because nothing is scarier than the unknown.
The shape of the antagonist is also triangular, which alludes to his individuality and power.  The shape is repeated in this picture, with the mouth, direction of the eyes, ears, etc. This makes the cat look evil and scary, which is exactly what I’m going for with the character.  

No comments:

Post a Comment